Micky Mellon insists Andy Cook won’t be leaving Tranmere this summer

Tranmere manager Micky Mellon has responded defiantly to speculation he might lose any of his star players this summer.

Andy Cook has been linked with a move away from Prenton Park, with Notts County and Wrexham amongst the clubs interested in the striker.

Mellon though is fed up of reports that he is looking to sell.

Last year’s top scorer started the club’s first pre-season friendly of the summer on Wednesday, a 4-0 friendly defeat to Liverpool, and the manager says nobody is leaving.

“I hope we’re not going to keep going over this,” he said.

“I’ll answer it for the last time. We have no need to move anybody on and there is no plan to move anybody on.

“That doesn’t mean to say if something comes in and the club believes that it’s good for the club, that the club would do that.

“But there is absolutely no plan to lose anybody.

“We’re trying to build a team. My mind hasn’t changed on that.

“So that’s the last time I will answer a question on that. It’s been going on all summer. I’m telling you now, there is no plan to lose anybody from the group.”

Building a team is something Mellon is pretty hot on. The majority of players who finished last season in the match day 16 are still at Prenton Park, whilst Ollie Norburn, James Alabi, George Waring and Elliot Rokka are the new signings.

By having a settled side going into next year, the manager reckons Tranmere’s chances of winning the National League this year are greatly increased.

That is not to say new signings aren’t planned though.

Rovers still need at least one defender, with Michael Ihiekwe, who joined Rotherham, yet to be replaced.

Mellon has a few targets in mind, but nothing is imminent.

“I’m pleased with where we’re at,” he continued.

“I maybe want to try and add one or two more into positions I think we need to be stronger in. But we’re getting on with that.

“We’re looking at a number of options for the defence. There’s nobody nailed on though.

“It was important that we recognised that we did so well last year. We didn’t want to get too carried away and believe that we needed to knock everything down.

“We lost a number of players that were out of our hands, and we knew we had to replace them.

“But we’ve done a bit of rebuilding from Christmas onwards, signing James Wallace, Adam Buxton and Jack Dunn.

“So it didn’t need a massive change over of personnel. We just wanted to add to areas that we believed needed to cover all eventualities and add a bit more quality to the group.”

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s