Tranmere 4-0 Bromley: Report

Tranmere sent out the strongest message yet about their promotion credentials as they hammered Bromley 4-0 at Prenton Park.

All the headlines had been about the visiting strike force before they arrived on the Wirral, with Mark Goldberg’s side having scored 16 times in their last four games.

But it was the Rovers forwards who did the damage, as Andy Mangan scored either side of Jonny Margett’s brace, his first goals for the club, as Gary Brabin’s side extended their unbeaten run to eight games.

Gary Brabin was forced into one change from last week’s win over Cheltenham, with the suspended Steven Jennings replaced by Margetts.

Meanwhile one familiar face returned to his stomping ground for the visitors, with Ben Chorley part of Bromley’s defence.

And hosts also had to be wary of the threat of free-scoring striker Moses Emmanuel, who had netted twelve times in twelve games prior to kick off.

It did not take long for the 26-year old, a previous winner of Sky TV show “Football Icon”, to show Rovers’ backline they were in for a tough afternoon.

On ten minutes, he broke the offside trap and tried to lob the advancing Scott Davies, only for the ‘keeper to jump high and claw the ball out for a corner.

And short while later he came close again, quickly getting a toe in to poke a loose ball away from Scott Hogan before sliding a shot just wide.

With the half hour looming though, it was Tranmere who took the lead with their first shot on target.

It was top scorer Mangan who got it, netting from a near impossible angle to bag his fifth goal of the season.

The striker, who had been quiet in the opening exchanges, ran on to a loose ball that bounced into the penalty box.

He picked it up near the goal line, beat his man with the drop of a shoulder and curled powerfully across the ‘keeper and in at the far post.

That opened the game up and the chances started to flow.

Margetts should have made it 2-0 moments later when he was slipped through but after an excellent turn his shot was beaten away.

Davies then had a lucky escape at the other end as after a cock-up by the Rovers defence, he rushed off his line towards Emmanuel.

The striker tried to beat him with an early shot and the ‘keeper got down well to save, with the officials failing to spot he had advanced out of his area and used his hand to tip the ball away.

It the incident had been seen, it was a certain red card.

Bromley were on the back foot again not long afterwards though, as Adam Dawson’s twinkling toes created another chance on the left.

This time he beat his man and crossed into Margetts, who saw his header tipped over the bar in the nick of time.

After the break, Tranmere started on the front foot and it did not take them long to double their lead.

A couple of promising attacks had been cleared before a poor piece of defending gifted the ball to Lois Maynard on the right.

He fired in a vicious, low cross towards the penalty spot, where Margetts expertly slammed home at the near post.

That put Rovers out of reach, but they sat back for the next ten minutes, leading to a few tense moments.

Fortunately though, the best of Bromley’s chances fell to midfielder Ali Fuseni who twice fired off target from decent positions.

The visitors simply could not contain Tranmere when they attacked down the flanks though.

Dawson and Adam Mekki were superb breaking forward, with the former particularly enjoying himself as his book of tricks regularly brought success.

Perhaps he was guilty of hanging on to the ball a little too long at times, but he was Rovers’ main aggressor and helped tee up a chance for Jay Harris, who whistled a shot over from 30-yards.

Maynard then headed over from Mangan’s cross, before Davies was called into action at the other end, palming Rob Swaine’s powerful drive over the bar.

With their next attack though, Tranmere killed off the game.

Margetts ran on to a long ball over the top and was tripped in the box by Alex Wall.

The Bromley substitute somehow avoided a red card, but Mangan coolly converted the resulting penalty to put the hosts 3-0 up.

The visitors lost their cool after that, and substitute Lee Minshull was sent off in injury time for an incident involving Mekki.

And moments later Margetts grabbed his second and Rovers’ fourth, slipping under Chris Kettings from just inside the box.

That meant Tranmere recorded their biggest home win in three years and ensured they have won three games in a row for the first time since December and January of the 2012/13 season.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s