Tranmere 1-1 Wimbledon: Report

It appears the grass is greener on the other side of the water for George, as he swapped Goodison for Prenton Park and scored a stunning goal to desperately grab Tranmere a vital point against Wimbledon.

George Green only arrived at the club on Thursday, but he made an immediate impact as his late leveler earned a 1-1 draw.

And it was nothing more than the hosts deserved.

They had dominated the game for large parts, and only a lack of potency in the final third cost them from getting a win, which, given the desire and effort the players put in, they arguably warranted.

Three changes were made from last Saturday’s defeat to Burton, two of them enforced, as Jordan Hugill’s loan spell had ended and Owain Fon Williams was away on international duty.

That meant Peter Brezovan started in goal and George Green came straight into the side after joining on loan from Everton.

Steven Jennings meanwhile returned from suspension as Marc Laird dropped out.

The hosts started the game brightly, buoyed by a crowd who were making a bit more noise than usual.

And it was debutant Green who was making things tick as he constantly made himself available for the ball and buzzed around in midfield.

Indeed, he had Rovers’ first chance of the game, forcing Ross Worner to tip away to safety with a shot from inside the box after receiving possession from Rory Donnelly.

At the other end, Brezovan was called into action for the first time on 19-minutes when he saved at his near post after Adam Dugdale had been beaten by Sean Rigg.

From then on, the goalkeeper’s afternoon got busier as Tranmere’s early momentum disappeared.

He awkwardly palmed a 35-yard drive from Rigg round the post after Power had given away possession before Wimbledon took the lead on 29-minutes.

Unsurprisingly, Adebayo Akinfenwa, the man simply known as “The Beast” for his physical stature, was involved.

The striker, who had scored three times in as many games against Tranmere over the past two seasons, picked up possession outside the box and easily shrugged off Dugdale.

With the ball off the ground, he then volleyed a tame effort goalwards, but a deflection left Brezovan wrong-footed, and despite his despairing dive, he could not stop the shot from creeping in.

Conceding was a hammer blow to Rovers, who have not won a league game from behind since August.

But they pressed forwards, and Green saw one shot fly over from 25-yards before Kayode Odejayi had an effort deflected wide.

Tranmere’s best chance yet came as half-time beckoned, with a deep cross from Michael Ihiekwe falling to Janoi Donacien at the back post.

Unfortunately for the hosts, the defender probably was not the man they wanted to see on the end of it and he promptly missed his kick with the goal gaping and danger was cleared.

After the break, the “close but no cigar” moments continued.

Dugdale nodded one chance wide as he received Green’s deep corner, before the latter had a 25-yard effort caught by Worner.

At the other end Brezovan kept Rovers in it, palming away from a vicious Tom Beere shot that was flying in from close range.

But it was Tranmere who were well on top, and soon Worner was called into action again, saving at his near post from Green before Power’s 35-yard drive whistled just wide with the ‘keeper stranded.

Things were beginning to happen for Rovers, and you got the feeling that if they scored one, the three points were there for the taking.

And the chances kept coming, with substitute Iain Hume heading wide before Jennings somehow dragged his shot off target from close range after a good run and cross by Jennison Myrie-Williams.

Hume had another go with ten minutes left, but his 25-yard bobbling effort was straight at Worner, whilst Akinfenwa gave Rovers a reminder of his abilities, forcing a save out of Brezovan with a powerful header.

That chance seemed to swing things in Wimbledon’s favour, and soon the Rovers stopper was called into action again with a superb tip over the bar as a Jake Reeves drive from 25-yards looked destined for glory.

Akinfenwa then headed wide from the resulting corner as the game seemed to be petering out.

However, deep into injury time, Tranmere struck with a special, special goal that earned the congratulations of the visiting manager.

The ball feel to Green, who, 25-yards from goal, and with his mind focused solely on one thing, smashed a curling and unstoppable shot into the top corner.

It crowned a remarkable debut and it is goals like this that can shift the momentum after a poor run of form, and help a club turn their season around.

And although Rovers have now dropped into the League Two relegation zone, a display like this gives the club plenty to be positive about with seven games left.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s